One Mould to Fit Them All
It was December. It was summer holiday. I was a carefree (and rather careless) student at the University of Life and I was going home for a long holiday. And in the rushing madness of packing, partying and potentially forgetting stuff…I forgot to empty the contents of my dormitory fridge. Needless to say, when I returned to varsity after 6 weeks of holidaying, I was hit not only by the smell of 100 old libraries, but when I opened the fridge…I was rendered speechless by something that can only be described as a science experiment gone wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong.
All the contents of my fridge (especially stuff like cheese, yogurt, lettuce, tomatoes and that leftover piece of braaid meat) had hair longer than mine. Green, funky, fungi hair. Masses of spores. Mould. Needless to say, I screamed like a girl.
It’s safe to say that we’ve all dealt with mould at some points in our lives. You leave the bread for a few days too long, and it starts going green on the edges – not a big deal. The cheese goes past its sell-by date and goes a bit mouldy – we just cut it away. But we leave the bathroom window closed for a few too many days/weeks, and it starts smelling. We don’t think much of it, but we wonder why our sinuses are feeling a bit bunged up and what’s up with the green spots in the shower?
If you’re wondering why mould is growing in your home, consider this:
“Moulds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, moulds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mould growth should be avoided. Moulds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mould may begin growing indoors when mould spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mould, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.” (http://www.epa.gov/iedmold1/moldguide.html)
Furthermore, mould can cause serious health problems when left untreated. Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mould or mould spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mould are common and can be immediate or delayed. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mould. In addition, mould exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mould-allergic and non-allergic people. And all this just because of a bit of moisture and some spores?
The bad news is that It is impossible to get rid of all mould and mould spores indoors; some mould spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mould spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mould growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mould growth in your home, you must clean up the mould and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mould, but don’t fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mould problem will come back.
The good news is that KleenHealth South Africa has a fantastic product called Anti-Mould, and it:
– Prevents the growth of moulds and mildew.
– Anti mould will abate mould and mildew for many months after application.
– Anti mould destroys the bacteria, spores and moulds that grow and leave stains and active mildew to rot the textiles.
– Nano-Technology ensures long lasting protection up to 6 months or lasting 30 washes.
Because life is too short to fit the mould.